Monday, December 3, 2007

Driving While Sleepy

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. People should never drive while they are sleepy or tired. Its almost as bad as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I remember in my younger days I was driving across the Bay Bridge (Maryland) in the middle of the night and I dosed off. I could have drove my car off of the bridge and plummeted over 200 feet to my death. I told myself that that was going to the last time I drove while I was tired.

Today I went to check on two of my frat brothers in the hostpital. One has a burned hand, sliced open wrist and damage (don't know the extent) to his neck. The other one has five (5) broken ribs and a punctured lung. The other three people in the car had minor injuries and were released yesterday.

All of this could have been avoided if the driver would have just said: "I'm tired. Can someone else drive?"....Instead he had his car slam into a divider, flip four times before hitting a light pole. Visiting my friends in the hospital made me really sad. I wish the best for them and that they have a speedy recovery. I also thank God that no lives were lost. So the point of this is: Please do not drive while you are tired. It's just not worth it.

No comments: